- What We Do
What We Do
- Nationwide Services
- NYC PROGRAMS
- Our Impact
- Who We Are
- Take Charge
Work with Principal Supervisors
NYC Leadership Academy has worked with a variety of districts to build principal supervisors’ capacity to support and develop effective principals and to manage school leader performance.
For districts redefining the principal supervisor role and thinking about expanding their principal supervisor cadre, we can assist you in reconceptualizing the role, defining the skills and experiences necessary to fill the role, and designing a competency-based selection process.
We also provide a range of development and support for both new and already serving principal supervisors, including executive coaching and direct training designed to build key supervisory skills – such as observations and feedback. Our staff can also work side-by-side with principal supervisors and other central office staff to build their instructional capacity, including how to design relevant professional development for school leaders and how to effectively facilitate adult learning.
Strategic Consulting and Systems Change Support
Too often, new initiatives in education target a single area of reform, an approach that actually hinders the implementation of system-wide, lasting change. Fortunately, many districts are beginning to take a broader and more integrated view – working to build deliberate school leadership pipelines, for example, instead of just viewing school leadership through the lens of hiring and placement.
Widespread, enduring change comes only from a strategic, systemic approach.
There are many challenges to the alignment and integration of exemplary human capital practices, including resource constraints, systems structures, policy, and fragmentation of decision-making authority. NYC Leadership Academy can help you meet those challenges.
Drawing from our experience as a thought partner for departments of education across the country, NYC Leadership Academy works with you to develop a comprehensive approach to leadership development as well as provide assistance in integrating different programs. Our services include:
• Strategic consulting: We are experienced at conducting needs assessments that provide insight into the current school leadership landscape and its specific needs. We facilitate discussions that engage multiple stakeholders (such as districts and their local university partners). We enable those in charge of school leadership development to build their strategic vision through tools such as political mapping and scenario analysis.
• Leadership standards crosswalks and alignment: Programs that prepare and support school leaders should precisely align with leadership evaluation standards. We have worked with numerous education agencies and organizations to ensure that alignment.
• Customized training design and delivery: Our deep understanding of school leadership and adult learning enables us to develop and deliver meaningful, transformational learning. Using our standards-based approach to curriculum design, we work alongside our clients to develop training that is aligned to relevant leadership standards and addresses your system's needs. Examples include: training for principal supervisors in how to support professional growth that maps to leadership evaluation standards and workshops that enable teachers to "try out" school leadership to help them determine whether school leadership might be a path for them.
• District management coaching: Our master coaches work with district management to build their skills at assessing principal learning needs. Our staff also coach school leaders in how to effectively lead schools where all students achieve.
• Program assessment: As part of our work, we provide tools and processes that clients can use to assess and refine their leadership development programs.