- What We Do
What We Do
- Nationwide Services
- NYC PROGRAMS
- Our Impact
- Who We Are
- Take Charge
NYC Leadership Academy provides consulting and training that enable school systems to design and strengthen coaching and mentoring programs, and to develop highly-skilled coaches and mentors who help aspiring and current school leaders achieve their leadership and school improvement goals. Specifically, we provide these services:
Based on our proven Coaching for Success model, our work enables school systems to:
Competency-Based Coaching Model
Our signature competency-based coaching model is unique, measurable and helps school leaders develop through a facilitated learning process. This job-embedded coaching model is anchored in clear, behavior-based standards linked to student outcomes. Coaches and mentors develop and strengthen their capacities to:
We offer a range of training options geared to different content and delivery needs: from fundamentals for coaches and mentors, to self-paced online support, to advanced training for experienced practitioners. Click on each component of the coach training continuum below to learn more.
1) Foundations of Facilitative Competency-Based Coaching: Coaches and mentors learn the fundamental principles of our FCB model and how it focuses on improving student outcomes. Coaches and mentors discover how to apply the FCB model in their work through: instruction, individual and group work, interactive role-play, observation and feedback.
2) Online Coaching Modules (OCM): The online option is a proven, cost-effective way to train and support coaches, mentors and school leaders. OCM uses the same comprehensive, high-quality and rigorous training as our in-person sessions. Training is self-paced, allowing coaches to control and tailor their learning while building a learning community in support of effective leadership practice.
3) Advanced Facilitative Competency-Based Coaching: Coaches and mentors who have participated in foundations of FCB learn advanced techniques to deepen their coaching practice and overcome challenges. Using their own coaching experiences and job-embedded challenges, coaches discover how to build their own skills, facilitate growth of school leaders, and support instructional improvement.
4) Local On-Site Coach Shadowing: Our experienced coaches observe the participant’s coaching practice and school leader interactions in their own school environments, then provide in-depth, individualized feedback. Our coaches identify practices, assumptions, and interpersonal dynamics that affect the coaching relationship, and develop plans to build leadership skills as needed.
5) NYC-based Coach Shadowing: Participants see FCB coaching in action by observing a NYC Leadership Academy coach work with an early-career New York City public school principal.