January 29, 2018
The NYC Leadership Academy (NYCLA) is a nationally-recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a clear vision: to support greater academic success for students across the nation – especially the most vulnerable – through high-quality school leadership. We are firmly committed to preparing and supporting educational leaders so they can catalyze and sustain effective change across their organizations and educate students effectively. We do this by building the capacity of education systems across the country to develop and support their own leaders and bringing a standards-based and social justice-rooted approach to leadership development. Since 2003, more than 150 school districts, state departments of education, universities, and nonprofits in 32 states have collaborated with NYCLA to prepare and support leaders who can transform schools and ensure all students have access to effective instruction and are nurtured socially, emotionally and academically.
Under the direction of the Executive Vice President, the Vice President of Budget and Finance will provide critical financial analysis and financial strategic recommendations to senior leadership. The Vice President of Budget and Finance will develop and maintain organization wide budgeting, financial planning, controls, accounting and reporting policies and practices in accordance with GAAP. He/she must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace while managing a staff of two to three employees.
- Analyze financial results and provide management with an understanding of the organization’s financial performance and the financial implications of business decisions and strategy
- Develop financial forecasts aligned to organizational strategies and goals
- Manage budgeting, accounting, investing and finance activities for the accurate and timely completion of monthly financial statements as well as annual audits and budgets
- Prepare materials for the Board, senior management, funders and other reporting as needed
- Manage and oversee all disbursements, ensuring accurate and timely processing all components including pledges billings and cash receipts
- Establish and maintain controls to ensure the integrity of all systems, processes and data
- Generate proposal budgets and financial reports for multiple funder types
- Update and monitor all necessary business policies and accounting practices and the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual. Develop budget reports and meets monthly with department heads to monitor budgets and track changes
- Oversee audit and ensure accurate and timely completion and filing of 990
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting
- Perform cash management and treasury functions to oversee short and long-term investments
- Remain up to date on non-profit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding non-profit operations
- Supervise and develop staff assigned to the department
- Consult with the Human Resources staff in development and implementation of employee benefits
- 7+ years in finance, with 3 years in a non-profit organization, including experience with senior leadership
- MBA and/or CPA strongly preferred
- Deep knowledge of non-profit accounting including experience with sophisticated grant and fund accounting financial compliance and financial reporting including ABILA MIP fund accounting
- Understanding of the Office of Management and Budget Circular A-122 for Nonprofit Cost Principles
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrated experience managing budgets and preparing financial models
- Prior experience managing people
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated problem solver
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work at senior management and board levels
- Ability to work both on a macro and detailed level
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and familiarity with other Microsoft office software
Salary & Benefits
The NYC Leadership Academy offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience and comprehensive benefits including a generous paid time off (29 days) package and a fully employer funded health/dental/vision plans.
The NYC Leadership Academy is conveniently located in Long Island City, Queens. Long Island City is located only minutes outside of Manhattan and is easily accessible via seven subway lines (7, E, G, & M), the Long Island Rail Road, numerous bus lines and a ferry landing at Queens West providing service to Midtown, Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Qualified candidates may apply by emailing their resume, cover letter with salary requirements and all other applicable information to NYCLA firstname.lastname@example.org with "VP Budget & Finance(candidate name)" in the subject line.
We believe that diversity of all kinds within our staff contributes to our team’s effectiveness and to our overall success.
The NYC Leadership Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer