The NYC Leadership Academy has been awarded a $1.3 million grant to expand its impact by bringing gold-standard leadership services and tools to school districts across the nation.
“NYC Leadership Academy is proud to continue its partnership with Carnegie Corporation of New York to help develop educational systems that support the learning needs and achievements of all children,” said President & CEO Irma Zardoya. “We are excited to provide aspiring and current school leaders with innovative new services and tools to meet the needs of their students, teachers, and schools.”
The philanthropic foundation’s grant is an extension of a previous generous grant that supported development of the Leadership Academy’s Virtual Learning Platform, including a Coaching Service, a Principal Onboarding Institute, and two video-based Equity Simulations. NYC Leadership Academy has been a leader in creating responsive, sustainable strategies for strengthening leadership pipelines, improving school leadership practice, and helping state and local districts move toward their strategic goals.
The grant will allow the Leadership Academy to develop services and tools that are cost-effective, flexible, and sustainable. Aspiring and current school leaders will have access to in-person, blended, and online learning opportunities designed to meet each participant’s schedule and unique set of objectives, as well as a community of like-minded professionals committed to student achievement. Services and tools include:
- Race & Equity in Coaching for school leaders to champion equity in their schools
- Facilitation Training for school leaders overseeing professional learning
- Mentor Training for mentor principals
Blended learning services
- Aspiring School Leader Institute for aspiring principals within two years of moving to a formal school leadership role
- Aspiring Principal Supervisor Institute for principals being considered for a district leadership role
- Year-Long Coaching Master Class for principal coaches and district personnel using the Leadership Academy’s Facilitated Competency-Based Coaching Model
- Equity Diagnostic Tool for school leaders to identify the state of racial equity and engage in critical conversation
- Online Facilitation of Equity Simulations for aspiring and current school leaders to address equity and social justice standards included in the 2015 Professional Standards for Educational Leaders and the 2015 Model Principal Supervisor Professional Standards
- Online Coaching of 360° /270° Feedback Tools for school leaders to receive performance and behavior-based feedback from multiple sources
“Since its founding, NYC Leadership Academy has focused on improving academic outcomes both in New York City and nationwide, particularly among the most vulnerable students, through high-quality school leadership,” Jonathan Moses, NYC Leadership Academy Board Chair and Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz said. “Developing excellent school leadership is an extraordinarily effective strategy to ensure all students achieve success and we are grateful for Carnegie Corporation of New York’s continued partnership.”