What impact has APP had?

More than 500 principals have graduated NYCLA’s New York City-based APP to date who are achieving very promising results based on an independent evaluation by New York University. According to a 2010 study conducted by the Institute for Education and Social Policy (IESP) at NYU, schools led by APP graduates showed significant improvements in English Language Arts and Mathematics and substantial progress in closing the achievement gaps in ELA and math scores against comparable schools within just three years.

IESP found that APP graduates in the study entered higher-need schools—they were more likely than their peers to be placed in elementary and middle schools with higher concentrations of African American and Latino students and students eligible for free and reduced lunch. Their schools also had significantly lower student achievement and attendance rates when they took over as principals, as well as lower proportions of experienced teachers than those of the schools led by comparison principals. IESP found that APP-led schools cut the ELA performance gap between their schools and comparison schools in half. In math, the performance gap was virtually eliminated in years three and beyond. In a prior study (2009), IESP found that APP graduates were also making headway with student subgroups. Their schools narrowed the achievement gap by moving 11.2% more students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), 11.4% more students classified as Limited English Proficient (LEP) and 8.4% more African American students toward graduation than comparison schools, as measured by the percent of students earning 10+ credits in 2006-07. Each of these findings is statistically significant.

New York City APP has been evaluated by other outside entities as well as NYU:

  • The Mathematics Policy Research, Inc. (MPR) found that 89% of APP graduates reported that their NYCLA training experience was “very relevant to their work [as principal],” with the remaining 11% deeming the training “relevant.” 
  • The Education Development Corporation rated NYCLA’s program curriculum design a 4+ on their four-point scale based on the characteristics of effective principal preparation programs.

Visit our Results page for more information.