The NYC Leadership Academy has developed an innovative approach to the common classroom walkthrough.
The Equity Walk Workshop and Toolkit is designed with an eye toward helping leaders and teachers assess how equitable classroom practices and conditions are and whether each student’s needs are being met. It offers a structure for school and school system leaders who supervise and support principals to conduct equity-focused classroom observations, gather low-inference data, generate questions, and plan next steps to improve student learning. Leaders are guided to look for evidence of how teachers are connecting, creating a learning environment, and creating learning with students.
We encourage leaders to conduct equity walks not as a means for evaluating teachers and principals, but as part of a process for making continuous improvements across classrooms and schools and for elevating conversations about classroom equity. Our research-based toolkit includes reflection questions and examples of classroom evidence to look for during a walkthrough, including observable teacher/student behaviors and classroom content and environments.
Recognizing the complexity of this work, we offer an Equity Walk Workshop that provides participants with one hour with Dr. Mary Rice-Boothe, our Chief Access & Equity Officer, along with access to the NYC Leadership Academy Equity Walk Toolkit.
During the virtual learning session, Dr. Rice-Boothe will:
- Review the NYC Leadership Academy Equity Walk Toolkit process, objectives, and outcomes.
- Discuss how to calibrate the process and toolkit to support all regions and schools.
- Describe how to engage both students and teachers during equity walks.
- Explain how observer subjectivity can be managed during the collection and sharing of low-inference data.
- Identify the types of classroom activities and conditions that an equity walk could assess (e.g. student-teacher interactions and relationships; expectations vs. standards; content and curriculum.)
- Provide suggested vocabulary for observers to use with other equity walk leaders as well as with teachers.
- Answer questions about implementation of equity walks in your school system.
There is a one-time fee of $250 for the session and toolkit. Select your preferred date and register by clicking the link below.